Friday, September 16, 2011

Brain=BFF

This year, having started in two new jobs and therefore met lots of new people, I have come to notice something about myself, something that I've decided is very important: I am comfortable with myself.

Being a Peer Advisor is seriously one of THE BEST things that I have ever done and one of the best things that has ever happened to me in my entire life. We're only in week five or so, and I never want it to end! Everything I've done has been so entirely unique; I really don't think I've seen these kinds of relationships/interactions/opportunities/experiences/etc. ever before. The first time I met with the other PA's (there are 31 of us!) was in April, and immediately I was incredibly comfortable. In a room full of strangers, I was not nervous or afraid but content with myself and my (unfamiliar) surroundings. The next time I was face-to-face with everyone was in August! Such a long gap. But I was equally as comfortable, if not more. Also, my professor is so amazing. I admire her success and ambitions and am so enjoying getting to know her on a more personal level. That's really the best part because she is super fun. :) My class is pretty great, too. It's so easy for me to relate to them because I was literally there a year ago, and that helps us identify quite well. I love LEAP. This really doesn't even begin to cover it, but you get the idea. In all of these situations (working intimately with a professor, assisting students in class and having answers to their questions, interacting with other PAs) I have been so content with everything. Excited even! 

In late May, I omitted a two-week notice and opted for about a four-day heads-up that I was leaving All a Dollar. I needed to get the hell out. I put in my 3+ years and it was so time for something new. That is when I started at Express. Yes, it is still retail! A lot of things are still the same, but I have also learned so much. And I feel like my growth and excellence was stagnated at All a Dollar, whereas now it is continuous. At Express, our store has gone through several management changes and associate changes and I have constantly been in contact with new people. Again, I have been so comfortable! With my personality, my work, and my interaction with customers and other employees. My level of comfort has really made this transition smooth and allowed me to focus on doing my job and enjoying my work. :)

Two examples, two very different situations, one same, amazing level of comfort. I began to wonder what to attribute my contentness to, and at first I thought it was confidence/self-esteem. In a way, that's exactly what it is, but not the way you might be thinking at this moment and not the way I first thought. My physique, hair, makeup, clothes, nails, shoes, etc. are not making me into this individual who is ready to adapt to any situation. It's my knowledge. :)  It's me knowing what I know and being confident in my thoughts. Gosh I love my brain! That is not something you can buy at a store!!!! (I'm sorry sir, we do not carry that here). And it has taken me years and years to develop my knowledge and education. However, it overrides outside appearance. FOR SURE. I do not have six-pack abs, but I am damn good at my job. My skin is not perfect, but I write kick ass research papers (and love them haha). It's how I am, what I do, and what I'm going to continue to do. I'm comfortable with what I know (and what I don't), and I don't need Prada, liposuction, a boob job, and Louboutins (though I would like them, the shoes that is :)) to make me more content.

1 comment:

  1. You are the hardest worker I know and I'm in love with it!

    ReplyDelete