Saturday, September 3, 2011

Safety in Danger? Psch.

If you haven't read my previous post about how much I love school, I will reiterate: I love school! And it's going really well. :) The other day someone asked me what I liked most about it, and I really couldn't pick one thing! Just the whole classroom atmosphere I suppose. And well, school. :) Someone also asked me if I was doing ok and happy. I am! Great, really. Yesterday I had the luxury of sitting at the tables outside the Marriot Library, basking in the warm sun, grading papers for LEAP, and just enjoying myself. There was really no other place I wanted to be.

Anyway! I have a news writing class this semester, and our first assignment was to interview the person beside you and write a story about him/her. I had quite an awkward conversation with the gentlemen sitting next to me, and we both proceeded to write something (I really don't think either of us gave that great of information). However, while he was interviewing me, he asked what kind of car I have. (I believe we both complained about parking a bit and that prompted him to ask.) I told him I have a Hyundai Accent and that it's pretty beat up. I also explained how that came to be. He then decided to focus his story on my bad driving. COME ON.

Obviously I'm biased toward myself, but I am not a bad driver! Were I, I think I'm comfortable enough to admit it. But really. I don't text and drive (duh). I don't speed (maybe 5 over here and there). I stop at stop signs (besides the one by my house--I know Griff :)). I don't eat and drive (it seems quite difficult). I try to keep plenty of space between me and the person in front of me (and behind, if possible). I drive cautiously in parking lots (again, duh, even if it looks empty). I ALWAYS wear my seat belt (so easy to do). And in general I am a defensive driver (I thank my parents for that). Yes, my car has endured four collisions with other things. Twice, the other things HIT ME! Unavoidable, or I would've avoided them. Therefore, not my fault. The two times that I came into contact with other objects, I was going slow and the other objects were stationary. Cheap aluminum just does not hold up well. In all of these collisions, no one was hurt and most damage was minimal (at least what I had to pay for ha). Really, the evidence provided is not sufficient enough to find me guilty of bad driving.

Also, did I mention the headline of the story was something about my safety being in danger? Now, how ironic is that? Plus, it's not like I'm getting worse! Every time I drive, I have the opportunity to practice safe driving. And I do. (You should too!) Come on now. We need to stop judging drivers by their cars.

This concludes my rant. Drive safe all! Especially if you have any fun plans for Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment